Dr. Billups obtained his M.S. Degree in Applied Psychology from Virginia Commonwealth University with an emphasis on educational and clinical assessment, intervention, and consultative services. During subsequent years, he worked in a variety of educational and clinical settings in which academic coaching, psychotherapy, and assessment were emphasized as were consultative services and teaching. He recognizes that mental health scaffolding is often unnecessary in providing services for students who are under-functioning in the classroom, and academic coaching may provide a more cost-effective activity for helping students get back on a trajectory toward success. Details concerning his clinical psychology practice can be found at www.oysterpointpsychological.com.
Education and Training:
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology from The Virginia Consortium Program in Clinical Psychology in Norfolk, Virginia
- Internship in Clinical Psychology (with a concentration in Behavioral Medicine) from the Eastern Virginia Graduate School of Medicine in Norfolk, Virginia
- Master of Science in Applied Psychology from Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia
- Bachelor of Science from King College in Bristol, Tennessee
Postdoctoral study at the Institute for Law, Psychiatry, and Public Policy at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Licensure and Certification:
- Licensed in Clinical Psychology
- Certified in Traumatology
- Qualified by statute to conduct forensic psychological evaluations
- Virginia Academy of Clinical Psychologists
- American Society of Clinical Hypnosis
He has practiced in a variety of public and private settings and has taught at various colleges and universities in Tidewater, Virginia. He has taught continuing education courses for PESI at various sites in Nebraska, New England, and Northern Virginia.
He is a sometime student pilot and is working on blues guitar!
He, his wife, and their three dogs make their home in Kilmarnock, Virginia